Words and Images from Ed Felker

Eventing in Black and White

Sometimes I forget about black and white. But it’s fun every now and then to shoot in monochrome, and my wife Sandy’s horse show (she is an eventer) seemed like a good opportunity to experiment a bit. Here Sandy puts studs in Emma’s shoes for better traction in cross country.

Getting her own footwear in order.

Emma with her game face on.

Some final adjustments before stadium jumping.

Air Emma.

Chatting with her trainer between stadium and cross country.

Emma after her work day is done.

It was a long day for some! Petey naps in the sun.

9 Responses

1. Do you photograph in black and white or adjust the saturation of color photos? I am curious if there any benefits to photographing initially in black and white. Beautiful photographs either way!

April 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm

• All but one or two of these were shot in black and white. The reason for that is, as much as I like black and white, sometimes I have a hard time envisioning what makes an interesting monochromatic image. Once I shoot it in color, it’s hard for me to “see” it in black and white, and I seldom end up experimenting with it in that way post production. So every now and then I just shoot a day or part of a day in black and white. Maybe the more I do it, the better I’ll become at seeing it. Not sure if that made sense!

April 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm

• That does make sense. I don’t shoot in black and white because I know that I can make that choice later, but then I rarely do because I took the picture as a color shot and I tend to “bond” with it that way, I guess.

I will definitely have to try a black and white photoshoot sometime.

April 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm

2. Dude! These are fantastic!

April 2, 2012 at 5:47 pm

3. You know this would capture my eye. Fabulous photographs and Emma is a beautiful and well built horse. Hope you’re wife had a successful day that day.

April 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm

4. Nice! Love the photos of preparation and the intimate moments that come before the exciting time in the ring. Hours of time spent before a few moments in competition–so awesome that you captured those so beautifully for your wife!

April 3, 2012 at 9:48 am

5. You definitely chose the correct event (love your title) for black and white photography. It really adds some drama. I loved the photo captioned “Air Emma.” I haven’t considered monochromatic shooting for a while. I’m eager to play with it. Debra

April 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm

6. Love it! I’m always looking for horse related photography on wordpress.

April 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm